Bhavnagari Chilly is a species of chilly native to Gujarat. They are not very spicy and are used for a number of dishes like fritters, pickled chillies or stuffed vegetable. One such recipe is that of stuffed marcha which can be served as a snack or a side dish to make a boring lunch interesting.
It’s a special kathiyawadi (Gujarati) recipe. The recipe requires minimum of ingredients and efforts and an amateur can also cook it with ease.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Makes: 6 – 7 chillies
- 1 cup gathiya (fried noodles made of chickpea flour)
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander – cumin powder
- 6 – 7 Bhavanagari Chillies
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- Wash the chillies and tap dry them with a napkin.
- To make stuffing, grind the gathiya and mix in the dry masalas viz. salt, coriander leaves, sugar, red chilly powder and coriander – cumin powder.
- Once the stuffing is prepared, make a vertical slit across each chilly and remove its seeds.
- Stuff each chilly with the prepared mixture.
- Now, take some oil in a pan and add some asafoetida. Place each chilly in the oil and let it cook.
- Let the chillies cook until you see little white patches on it.
Your stuffed chillies are ready to be served!!