Rice is a versatile ingredient which can be used to make any dish from Main Course to Starter. Of late a lot of fine dining restaurant serve rice with different gravies from various cuisines – the most common being Chilly Paneer with fried rice. This time I tried a different gravy variant which can be served with rice.
With the goodness of a number of exotic vegetables and rice flavoured with garlic and parsley, this one pot meal turned out to be great. It is a great recipe for dinner or when you have guests over. It is filling and is not much of a hassle to cook.
Difficulty Level: Medium
Serves: 2 – 3 people
For the gravy
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp refined flour/ maida
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- black pepper powder
- mixed herbs / oregano
- chilly flakes
- 2 tbsp processed cheese
- 1/3rd cup broccoli
- 1/3rd cup boiled sweet corn
- 1/3rd cup bell peppers
- 2 – 3 tbsp veeba’s pizza & pasta sauce
For herbed rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat butter in a pan and add finely chopped garlic to it. Saute the garlic until brown and add in the refined flour. Saute it well.
- Whisk in milk and keep on stirring to avoid formation of lumps. Season it with salt, black pepper and let it thicken.
- Once the sauce starts thickening as per the desired consistency, add in all the boiled vegetables and bell peppers. Mix in shredded processed cheese and stir well.
- Once, the white sauce has cooked properly, add 2 tbsp of pizza sauce to it. I have used veeba’s ready made pizza and pasta sauce to flavour. You can make your own pizza sauce using recipe as follows https://lovecookserve.com/2019/02/01/maggizza/
- Stir well, add chilly flakes and mixed herbs as per your preference. The gravy should have sauce like consistency.
- For the rice, soak basmati rice for half an hour. Boil it in an open pan. Season it with salt.
- Take butter in pan, fry chopped garlic in it. Mix in parsley and toss rice in the garlic parsley butter. Mix the rice with light hands to ensure that they are fluffy and each grain is separate from the other,