Mumbai is known for its street food and one of the popular recipes is Tawa Pulao. It is a rice based recipe which is spicy and loaded with vegetables and flavors.
If you are craving for some spicy food for the soul, you ought to try this recipe. It can also be one of the recipe you can serve for a get together as it requires minimum of ingredients and can be cooked very easily even if there are a lot of people.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Serves 3 -4 people
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 medium sized onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 capsicum
- 1/4th cup green peas
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- Pav bhaji masala
- Red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cumin seeds
- Boil potatoes and green peas.
- Add oil and butter to a pan, followed by cumin seeds. Finely chop onions and garlic and add in to the oil. Let the onion cook until translucent.
- Put in capsicum and saute it for a while until a little soft but crunchy as well. Add in the boiled potatoes. Mash it and mix it well. Boiled potatoes give a nice body to the vegetables. Finally add the green peas and pav bhaji masala., red chilly powder and salt to taste.
- Let all the masala blend well with the vegetables and then add basmati rice. Stir well with light hands so that the rice does not turn stick. Garnish with coriander.
- I served my Tawa Pulao with hot garlic chutney and curd.
- For hot garlic chutney, all you need to do is make a coarse paste of garlic, red chilly powder and salt. Temper the paste by taking butter and oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, garlic paste and water.